Saturday, November 15, 2008

Finding Feeds

This is cool--I always kind of vaguely knew what RSS feeds were, but never used them at all. Now I see why this whole blogging thing is so addictive!

I didn't really care for Bloglines. It didn't really work that well for me, it kept going back to one page and not doing what I wanted it to do--so I skipped over that and went straight to Google, which does everything better than anyone else, apparently. I set up a Google Reader account, and voila, I'm good to go.

I really didn't like any of those blog search sites listed, I'm sorry to say--I got my links the more organic way: recommendations from colleagues. And colleagues' own blogs that I'd like to follow. I also went to magazines, newspapers, etc. that I already know & trust, and signed up for some of their feeds. The blog search sites were klunky, not easy to use, and very ugly. And the blog directory on one of them was ridiculously small. I will just use Google to search blogs because, as I said, they're the Company That Does Everything the Best.

I look forward to all of the great info. I've already found, through one feed on tighwaddery, a great deal on the Barbie horse & carriage which will make a perfect surprise Christmas present! (20 bucks at wal-mart online, if anyon'es interested.) Next I will try to get some feeds that are actually library-related...

No comments: