Friday, November 7, 2008

Lifelong learning on a tight schedule

Here's my blog, tra la la.

About the 7 & 1/2 habits of lifelong learners: I find it easy to do most of them, as I am interested in many things and want to learn more than I will ever possibly have time for. I guess if I had to pick one, it would be taking responsibility for my own learning. I have taught myself how to do many, many things: soapmaking, violin, gardening, knitting, woodworking, cooking, canning, puppetry, foreign languages, etc. etc. My latest: parenting, fence-building, knitting Actual Things for Gifts, and cheese-making (well, hopefully sometime soon on the last one, anyway--we have the kit all ready to go).

The one I'm worst at right now, depressingly: play. I have no time to finish the laundry and pay the bills, let alone play. The only play I got in yesterday was knitting while watching a Buffy episode at 9:30 at night. And I'm afraid I screwed it up (but I'll be able to creatively cover it up, I hope). And play can become work when you're trying to squeeze it into an overfull schedule. I love playing music with friends, but when we had our first real "gig" and had to practice once a week, it nearly killed me, even though the practice itself was fun. Ah, modern life.

No comments: