Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Library 2.0

While I found some of those articles a bit overblown, I think the opportunities for "Library 2.0" are very exciting. I'm especially pleased, for example, that we're going to have a Reader's Advisory wiki. I'm looking forward to the wiki chapter so I can learn more about how they work--but from what I know, it sounds like a great way to store, organize & easily access information.

I liked one of the last articles that mentioned "Library 4.0." This about the library becoming like a knowledge spa, with users reveling in the luxury of ideas. The author points to country manor libraries as an example; the smell of leather, good coffee, a good book, and single malt (if only...). The comparison to Starbucks is interesting. I've thought for years that the library should trend more toward the Starbucks/Barnes & Noble model: that is, a complete experience for customers, not just a repository of knowledge. Comfy chairs, good coffee (when will we get that in the branches?!), non-industrial lighting. A whole atmosphere. People can get information many places, but the library is luxurious--here you find your community and a knowledge repository, and all for free--and it should FEEL that way too.

No comments: